Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Feedback.

Well, what can I say. I sent off the revamped version of 'The Great Egg Mystery' to an agent. She's full at the moment but has asked me to send it back in the new year with the name of a lovely lady in her office whom I should send it to. I've been told that this is progress. Has my persistance paid off? I'm not sure so I shall have to wait until after the new year, a new year a new start maybe? I am delighted not to have recieved another automated response though. The fact that someone has actually taken the time to ask me to return it is great as all that I have recieved so far are rejections that don't provide any information at all, just 'it's not suitable' or 'doesn't have the necessary edge'. I understand that they are very busy, I don't think a writer can improve without good feedback though so they owe it to another agent to just be honest as it'll save someone else recieving a submitted manuscript that needs work. I do sometimes think that it may be easier to get my book published if I were a celebrity as they appear to be doing a good job at the moment. Alot of them are at it, even the ones that are not so famous, they are all knocking out books. The ghost writers must be rushed off their feet. Not only do I have other writers to compete against, I also have the dead ones, the published ones and now the celebrities. This doesn't feel like an equal race to me.

 I've found it very difficult to get good feedback. By good I don't mean 'wow, it's fantastic, the best thing I've ever read' as, although it's flattering to the ego it does nothing more. By good I mean 'you need to change the name of the duck and you need to check your grammar in paragraph 2.' I have found a few people who are willing to do this though so not all is lost, hence the revamp of 'The Great Egg Mystery.' I am so very grateful for this an in time I hope to return the favour to someone else.
I have spent the last month thinking of 30 picture book ideas as part of this: http://taralazar.wordpress.com/
I should say that it has taken me all month to think of them as the challenge is to think of one idea a day for 30 days. I would be lying if I said that it had taken me this long though. I look forwards to seeing what this has to hold for me.

 I still have a vacancy for a fairy god mother (or god father). Will pay in good karma should they ever show themselves and I guarantee that this will be returned to another budding writer or two in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment